Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My Continuing Saga of Illness

So...in case people have been following this blog and care to some degree about my health, allow me to enlighten you on the state of my well being on this, the one month anniversary of my never ending cough. It all began as a little sore throat, soon becoming the traditional early year flu/cold/who knows. After patiently waiting a week for symptoms to improve with home remedies I was finally pressured into visiting a doctor. Diagnosis: Bronchitis. Remedy? Common antibiotics and some cough syrup with a special dose of codine. Result? Back at the doctors 4 days later with additional symptoms of fever and pain in chest. This time I got a different doctor who looked at my throat and said, "Ya, that looks pretty bad." Still told my diagnosis was bronchitis. New drugs though were offered. Now I got to take the ever potent zythromax, to be accompanied by mucinex and advair. Two weeks later, I am still coughing, pain has returned to chest, and multiple other symptoms. But no fever and I wasn't feeling crummy except for the inescapable cough. So undaunted I returned to the doctors office to see yet a third doctor (only three more to go! including my primary doctor who I haven't seen yet, so can he really be my primary doctor?). After taking chest x-rays to ensure I didn't have pneumonia (I don't) I was told that due to the severity of my previous infection, my bronchial tubes (and now I provide my own words) are being cranky and don't want to stop complaining about being sick. They remain inflamed and irritated, so that when I take deep breaths or do much in the way of activity, they want to cough. So once again I am given advair, along with some prednisone to reduce inflamation, and some inhaled albuterol to help with breathing. I was also told to take 'voice rest' so that I might one day be able to speak again louder than a horse whisper.
Congratulations, you have succeeded in reading the saga. Now we wait to see if this darned cough will ever stop.

3 comments:

Zach 'n' Jack said...

WOW. I'm so sorry!! This is me crossing my fingers and toes that you finally get better......... Love ya Jayme!

Peggy Glasmann said...

So is Virginia excited that you have to "rest" your vocal chords? That does mean NO talking. Or would she prefer to finally have someone to talk to? Have Virginia call me since you are supposed to be resting your voice!!

The Barton's said...

Holy crap. Get better soon would ya.I have to say you are one sick dude. Also I love that the baby sucks her thumb. It reminds me of my Sara who is getting too big. Love you guys!